Creatives and the Law

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Making Money Off Your Photography

I recently started marketing my services in an effort to drum up some photography business. A few months ago I left my six-figure salary legal job in order to take the time to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. It was the right decision for me. One of the activities I have undertaken during this time involves developing my photography skills. My hope is that I can use photography as a "side hustle." (In case you have not heard the term, a side-hustle is what you do to supplement your 9-5 income.) Fortunately, I have been successful in gaining some business from my work, which makes me really proud. However, one thing that I am noticing is that working with friends can be difficult because they simply do not want to pay.

Now, I do not think my friends are being malicious or trying to take advantage of me. I just do not think they understand the amount of time and energy it takes to get the image from my camera to their hands. In an age where "anyone can be a photographer," I believe people have an overly simplified view of photography -- point the phone/camera at something, take the picture, post on social media, DONE! In reality, it takes a lot of time and energy to develop the skills necessary for a photographer to be able to take great shots in any kind of light. And, it takes even more time and energy to edit those pictures and prepare them for final delivery to the client. On average, I might spend 10-15 minutes editing one picture and putting it on my website. Now imagine if I have 600 or 900 pictures from an event. While I may be able to decrease the editing time since all of the pictures were likely taken under similar light, I still have to look through each picture and edit it. Are you starting to get my point?

So, if you have a friend or family  member who is a photographer and you need him or her to take pictures for you, PAY that person. And, don't just offer to take the person to dinner or to buy him or her a drink, pay your photographer friend with actual money--MAKE IT RAIN! Your photographer friend will appreciate it and you will have better karma!

No comments:

Post a Comment