Creatives and the Law

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Purchasing a Used Lens

In case you have not noticed I have a rather unique blogging style -- I do not write a post unless I really have something to say. That is generally the way I seek to live my life (I do not speak until I have something to say) and frankly, I think there are real benefits to it. So, as you can imagine, I have something to say...lucky you world!

Recently, I bought my very first used camera lens. Yes, up until yesterday, I have always purchased brand new Nikon lenses from an authorized Nikon reseller. I generally buy new lenses because if my $1,000+ wide-angle lens (for example) breaks or needs to be serviced, I want to be able to send it to Nikon and have it fixed without any issue and no cost (if within the warranty period). So, you might be wondering why I decided to buy a used camera lens. Well, after much research, I decided a few months ago to purchase the Nikon 70-200mm telephoto lens. Prior to purchasing that lens I learned that Nikon was planning to release its new 300mm f/4 telephoto lens and I decided that that would fit my photography needs better. Due to the inclusion of a Phase Fresnel lens element, the lens is substantially smaller and thus lighter than other lenses in its class. Unfortunately, due to the rather numerous negative reviews associated with the malfunctioning vibration reduction mechanism on this lens, I decided to hold off buying one until the issue was fixed by Nikon. Just as an FYI, both the 70-200mm lens and the new 300mm lens are priced in the $2,000 range, but I consider (and still consider) both of these lenses to be worth the investment (assuming Nikon fixes the vibration reduction issue with the 300mm telephoto). 

Based upon my style of photography, I tend to mainly use either my wide-angle lens or my 50mm fixed lens, thus, no real need for a zoom lens (or so I thought). However, it was not until last week when I was processing a batch of photos in Lightroom when I realized that I really needed a telephoto lens ASAP.

Immediately, I decided to go over my previous telephoto lens research. As I was looking through my previous choices I turned my attention to the consumer grade Nikon 70-300mm telephoto lens, which I had previously dismissed. Many reviewers on the internet stated that the lens tended to perform better on DX format cameras even though it was made for FX cameras and also indicated that the lens did not perform particularly well in the 200-300mm range. Usually, these types of reviews would turn me off from a lens pretty quickly -- I would not feel comfortable paying for an extra 100mm that I could not use and, naturally, as the owner of an FX format camera, I expect the lens to perform exceptionally once attached to the camera. However, in this case, I just needed a good quality, sturdy, reasonably priced telephoto lens that would last me until I could purchase either the 70-200mm or 300mm lens. So, I decided that for this purchase, I would get the best value for my money by purchasing a used lens.

Personally, I prefer to purchase items on Amazon as opposed to eBay for many different reasons that I will save for another post. As such, I went over to Amazon and searched for a lens and a buyer. Rather than picking the cheapest lens, I looked for the user with the best reviews, most accurate description and actual pictures of the actual lens. Generally, I buy used items from an individual as opposed to a business as another individual tends to be much more motivated to sell, will answer all of your questions, and usually has the most accurate descriptions and pictures of the actual product. After identifying the buyer that met my criteria, I asked a variety of questions, confirming that there were no dust, scratches or mold, that the lens was not purchased gray market, and, last but not least, I confirmed all the accessories that would be included (lens hood, caps, filter, manual).

Well, as you may have guessed, I purchased the lens and managed to save approximately $250 off the cost of a new 70-300mm lens. I'm happy with my purchase, the seller was nice and shipped the item quickly. While I have sold several lenses on Amazon and eBay, this was my first time purchasing a used lens and it was a great experience. The lens may not be the top of the line, but it is exactly what I needed and that is what matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment